Food Safety Issues/frozen turkey

Question
We bought a 25 lb Turkey Monday afternoon for Thursday. This is my first Turkey ,so I'm clueless. Was not aware of thawing times (5 days) so today I took it out of the fridge to help speed up the process only to find out this was a bad idea!! The bird was out for approx. 2 hours no more than.....is this still safe, as we are hosting thanksgiving and I don't want anyone too get sick!!

Answer
It's not a good idea to thaw a turkey at room temperature but being out for only 2 hours will not make the turkey potentially hazardous.I want to start out saying people have been thawing frozen turkey at room temperature for generations. The risk is very low if you do and it is even lower if you leave the packaging in place. The hazard increases when you allow the turkey to thaw and then reach room temperature. Potentially hazardous microorganisms start growing at about 50F. I'm going to take heat for saying this but it's true. The rule says potentially hazardous food should be kept below 41F. The rule use to be 45F. The FDA model food code lowered the temperature to 41F from 45F a few years ago. There is a 5F safety factor built in so 50F is fine. I  don't want to confuse you.The cooking process will kill any bacteria but some potentially harmful bacteria produce toxins which cooking won't remove. A real hazard would be if you touched the turkey after it reached 50F and you had a boil or lesion (cut) infected with staff. I doubt that's going to happen. By the way my grandmother who emigrated here from Russia always thawed frozen turkey in a paper bag on the bottom step of her basement for 2 days before we ate it. No one ever got sick. So don't worry about leaving it out for 2 hours. You are getting close to thanksgiving so here's what you can do. Put the turkey in the roasting pan and run cool water (less than 70F) on it until it thaws. That's the fastest safe way to thaw it. Good luck and have a great thanksgiving.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate