Food Safety Issues/Ham/Potato Soup left overnight

Question
Hello,

Last night I made a slow cooked ham and Potato Soup (no dairy, just condensed chicken soup and spices). The slow cooking process finished about 830 (on high), and I separated it out into containers (unsealed). I forgot about them and woke up at 6 am to find the containers still there. Note, my household temperature goes down to 62 over night.

Safe or not?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Katie,

The rule of thumb is that if a food that requires temperature control to remain safe, then it can only be out in the "Danger Zone" -- 41 to 135 degrees F - for no more than 4 hours.  

Since your soup which contained ham, potatoes and chicken stock -- all foods which require temperature control, were in the Danger Zone for over 4 hours, the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the soup.

Unfortunately you can not tell by taste, smell or looks if your soup is still safe to consume.  That's why the recommendation is to pitch foods that require temperature contol if they have been off of the heat or out of refrigeration over 4 hours.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt