Food Safety Issues/Vacuum sealing cooked chicken

I am going on a camping trip and was going to pre cook a chicken and vacuum seal it in sections, freeze it and then keep it in an iced esky. What I wish to know is - 'Is it better to vacuum seal the chicken hot or cold before I freeze it?'
Thanks in advance.

Hi Terry,

I would cool down the chicken for 15-30 minutes after removing it from the heat source and then vacuum seal it. Then freeze the chicken, making sure that it freezes solid within 12 hours.

You should keep the chicken in an ice chest that is able to maintain the internal temperature of the chicken at 41 degrees or below.  When you are ready to consume the chicken, if it still has ice crystals you can be assured the internal temperature of the chicken has been maintained below 41 degrees F and it should be safe to consume.

Hope you have a great camping trip and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville