Food Safety Issues/Vacuum sealing cooked chicken

Question
I am going on a camping trip and was going to pre cook a chicken and vacuum seal it in sections, freeze it and then keep it in an iced esky. What I wish to know is - 'Is it better to vacuum seal the chicken hot or cold before I freeze it?'
Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Terry,

I would cool down the chicken for 15-30 minutes after removing it from the heat source and then vacuum seal it. Then freeze the chicken, making sure that it freezes solid within 12 hours.

You should keep the chicken in an ice chest that is able to maintain the internal temperature of the chicken at 41 degrees or below.  When you are ready to consume the chicken, if it still has ice crystals you can be assured the internal temperature of the chicken has been maintained below 41 degrees F and it should be safe to consume.

Hope you have a great camping trip and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt