Food Safety Issues/Ham

Question
Hi I left a 12 lb spiral ham by mistake for about 18 hrs is it still ok to eat it. When I realized it was left out I put it in the refrigerator in case it was still goo.

Thank you
Dani

Answer
Hi Dani,

The problem is you can't tell by sight, smell or taste if a food that should be either kept hot or cold for safety is still safe to consume when it has been temperature abused.  The microorganisms that cause food borne illness do not give off any signals they are present.  If they did, it would be so much easier to tell which foods could still be consumed when left at room temperature.

So the answer is...you can't tell if it is still good.  All we do know is that leaving a food that is capable of supporting the growth of harmful microorganisms out for 18 hours increases the chances that it is not safe to consume. The recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the ham.

Sorry....wish I had better news for you but do hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt