Food Safety Issues/Moldy applesauce


Hi Carol, I just ate a little applesauce that had whitle mold inside it well I took my second small amount to eat and it was the actual mold. I spit it out and I threw up what I could up naturally I didn't gag myself..I'm worried and I gonna be okay?!!!

Hi Summer,

Eating a small amount of mold normally does not cause any consequences.  Since you realized there was mold and you expelled from your mouth and throat what you had just eaten, the chances that you ingested enough to cause a reaction is quite low. Ingesting mold can cause an upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea, but usually consuming a small amount does not lead to these symptoms.

Mold spores are one of the most common organisms in our environments and is found in our food, in the air, and on living surfaces. We eat small amounts of mold from time to time without any harmful effect as our bodies have numerous defense mechanisms to protect against any organisms that we ingest.

Here's hoping that the most unpleasant consequence that you experience from this experience is the realization that you just ate some mold!! Of course if you do have symptoms it is always wise to consult with your physician.

Happy Holidays.


Food Safety Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carol Schlitt


I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.


I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville

©2017 All rights reserved.