Food Safety Issues/plastic button on ham bone

Question
Like the other person I forgot to remove the plastic button, I cooked it at 275* for 3 hours unlike Paula when I looked for the button no button or any trace of it on the casserole dish or in the bone, the liquid was clear no trace there either  I removed the ham, removed two layers of ham and tossed, culled out the bone.  I don't think it would have melted???? perhaps mine missed getting one.  either way with what I have done can I eat my ham??  it tastes good :)

Answer
Hi Martha,

It is entirely possibly that your ham was not packaged with a plastic bone protector.  I would contact the store where you purchased the ham and ask if a plastic bone protector is used on their hams.

Most commercially processed hams (Kretchmeyer, Dougle G, Hormel, etc) include the plastic bone protector to reduce the sharp bone from tearing the ham covereing during shipping. Locally produced and packaged hams may not use them. I purchase hams from a local processor and he does not use a plastic bone protector.

So....I would contact the store immediately to determine if a plastic protector was included on your ham.  If it was provided and since you can find no trace of it, I would not consume the ham to be on the safe side.  

Here's hoping that a plastic bone protector was not used and that your ham is therefore, safe to consume.

Happy Holidays.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt