Food Safety Issues/Preserving lemons - air bubble ok?

Question

I've preserved lemons before, although not to send as holiday gifts.  This year, in addition to packing lemons with rock salt, I also water bath canned for 10 minutes after filling.  However, due to the large size of my lemons (for some reason Meyer lemons in Hawaii are gigantic) and the fact that I squeezed the lemons whole into my jars (as opposed to chopping up), as a result there are air bubbles trapped in my jars.  Is this a problem?  There are also spices in my jars, including cloves, black pepper, red chili flakes and bay leaves.  

Thank you for your help.

Jenny E.

Answer
Hi Jennifer,

If there's too much air in the jar, it can interfere with the jar's ability to drive out the extra air in the top and develop a good seal. While your jars may initially be sealed, it is possible that the air bubbles may cause the seal to weaken over time.  

I'd examine your jar every 2 weeks or so to see if they are holding their seal. If you notice the seals not holding I would refrigerate the jars for long-term storage.

Happy Holidays!

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt