Food Safety Issues/Refreezing Defrosted Food

Question
My freezer broke yesterday and my frozen meat defrosted.  I had a turkey, ham, hamburger, lunch meat, hotdogs, chicken and cube steak.  The only thing that still had and little ice on it was the turkey.  The other meat was completely defrosted, but was still cold.  Is the meat ok to refreeze and use?  Not sure what the temperature in the freezer was, but the fan for the freezer was running just not real cold.

Answer
If the items in the freezer remained under 40 degrees everything is safe to eat. It it was above 40 degrees for more than 2 hours it could be contaminated. Since there was still ice on the turkey it sounds like you will be okay. It is safe to refreeze the items but it may affect the quality. I would go ahead and refreeze it.

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate