Food Safety Issues/Refrideragted blackberry cobbler

I live in Costa Rica I made 3 blackberry cobblers this morning. I will take them to a confirmation party tomorrow they probably will not be cut and eaten until approximately 3pm. My receipe doesn't use any eggs and only use's 1/2 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of butter. Do I need to refriderate these?

Hi Barb,

Fortunately, fruit pies and cobblers that don't contain layers of dairy products like cream cheese and sour cream, do not need to be refrigerated for safety. Because the pH of fruit is in a range that does not support the growth of harmful bacteria, fruit-based pies and cobblers do not need to be refrigerated. Your biggest concern is the growth of mold which can occur on moist fruit fillings, but normally not within the first 36-48 hours. Your cobblers will be devoured long before that!

I'm jealous that your are in beautiful Costa Rica!  That is one country that is on my bucket list of places to visit.

Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville