Food Safety Issues/crock pot unplugged

Question
I put a turkey breast in the crock pot and covered with warm liquid and forgot to plug the crock pot in. It sat for two hours. Is it still.good after its cooked?

Answer
Hi Sandy,

The general rule of thumb for consumers is if food that should be kept either cold or hot is in the "Danger Zone"  (41 to 135 degrees F) for more than 2 hours then the food should not be consumed.

Since your turkey was right at the upper limit of this recommendation, it is still within the window of safety and should be okay to consume after thorougly cooking. The turkey should be cooked to a minimum of 165 degrees F.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt