Food Safety Issues/crock pot unplugged

I put a turkey breast in the crock pot and covered with warm liquid and forgot to plug the crock pot in. It sat for two hours. Is it still.good after its cooked?

Hi Sandy,

The general rule of thumb for consumers is if food that should be kept either cold or hot is in the "Danger Zone"  (41 to 135 degrees F) for more than 2 hours then the food should not be consumed.

Since your turkey was right at the upper limit of this recommendation, it is still within the window of safety and should be okay to consume after thorougly cooking. The turkey should be cooked to a minimum of 165 degrees F.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville