Food Safety Issues/food service

Are cooks required to wear aprons?

Hi Rico,

The FDA 2013 Model Food Code, section 2-304.11 states: "Food employees shall wear clean outer clothing to prevent contamination of food, equipment, utensils, linens, and single-service and single-use articles."

The code does not state what a cook must wear, just that the clothing must be clean.  However, state food codes and local ordinances may be more stringent than the FDA code and they may require aprons.  Employers can also impose dress codes that are more stringent than the state and local codes.

So -- it all depends upon your state/local codes and the rules of the employer.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville