Food Safety Issues/Food safety

Question
Oil/vinegar based potato salad safe to eat if left out overnight?

Answer
Hi Maryanne,

Cooked potatoes are considered to be a TCS food -- a food that requires time and/or temperature control in order to remain safe to consume.  If you go strictly by time, the potatoes could be left at room temperature up to 4 hours and still be considered safe to consume.  If you go by temperature, the potato salad should be kept cold - below 41 degrees F - and consumed within 7 days of initial preparation to remain safe to consume.

Since your salad was out of refrigeration over 4 hours it is not considered safe to consume. You can't tell by taste, smell or appearance if a food that has been time/temperature abused is still safe to consume so the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch it.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt