Food Safety Issues/thawing standing rib

Question
I have just started researching the thawing method of a rib roast
I have a 10lb roast that is frozen but I need to have dinner by PM Sunday before my daughter goes back to to college
how can I expedite the thawing process without ruining the meal

Answer
Hi Mathew,

At this point I think you should place the roast in the refrigerator and then cook it from a frozen state tomorrow (yes -- you can cook a roast from a frozen state, it just takes longer -- 50% longer). Where as a 10 lb roast would normally take 4 to 4.5 hours to cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F, a frozen roast will take 6 to 7 hours. I suggest you put the roast in the oven 8 hours before you are wanting to serve the meal and then let it stand at room temperature 30 minutes before carving.

Here's a video that shows how to cook the roast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJncVMP5oUE

Good luck Mathew.  Your roast will probably be the best you've ever made!

Happy Easter.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt