Food Safety Issues/Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt

Question
I left my Cherry Garcia Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt out for 12 hours, is it safe to refreeze and eat?

Answer
Hi Alanna,

Unfortunately, the answer is no.  It is not safe to refreeze ice cream and frozen yogurt that has complete defrosted.  Dairy products that are in the danger zone (41 to 135 degrees F) for 12 hours can easily support the growth of harmful bacteria that can make you ill.  And since you can't see, taste or smell these bacteria you can't tell if these harmful bacteria are present.

In addition to being possibly unsafe to consume, the quality of refrozen ice cream and yogurt is very poor and tastes old and gummy -- not anything like the original.

So pitch the yogurt and go buy some more.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt