Food Safety Issues/Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt

I left my Cherry Garcia Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt out for 12 hours, is it safe to refreeze and eat?

Hi Alanna,

Unfortunately, the answer is no.  It is not safe to refreeze ice cream and frozen yogurt that has complete defrosted.  Dairy products that are in the danger zone (41 to 135 degrees F) for 12 hours can easily support the growth of harmful bacteria that can make you ill.  And since you can't see, taste or smell these bacteria you can't tell if these harmful bacteria are present.

In addition to being possibly unsafe to consume, the quality of refrozen ice cream and yogurt is very poor and tastes old and gummy -- not anything like the original.

So pitch the yogurt and go buy some more.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville