Food Safety Issues/Hot & cold potatos

Question
Is it safe health wise,to mix a hot pot of cut potatoes into a pot of cut cold refrigerated potatoes before letting the potatoes cool or get room temperature? as well as letting the cold refrigerated potatoes get room temperature? before mixing?

Answer
Hi Toni,

I'm not aware of any negative health benefits from mixing hot and cold potatoes together.  However, once combined, the potatoes should be refrigerated in a shallow (less than 4") container so that the entire mass of potatoes can reach 41 degrees F or less within 6 hours.

Once potatoes or cooked, they should be refrigerated within 2 hours of taking off the heating source, and then reach 41 degrees within 6 hours of being placed in the refrigerator.  I suggest allowing the potatoes to cool for 30 to 45 minutes before prepping as they are easier to handle and cut (if using for potato salad).  Handling hot potatoes produces a lumpy, mashed potato salad as opposed to the standard chunky potato salad found in most restaurants and deli's.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt