Food Safety Issues/Hot & cold potatos

Is it safe health wise,to mix a hot pot of cut potatoes into a pot of cut cold refrigerated potatoes before letting the potatoes cool or get room temperature? as well as letting the cold refrigerated potatoes get room temperature? before mixing?

Hi Toni,

I'm not aware of any negative health benefits from mixing hot and cold potatoes together.  However, once combined, the potatoes should be refrigerated in a shallow (less than 4") container so that the entire mass of potatoes can reach 41 degrees F or less within 6 hours.

Once potatoes or cooked, they should be refrigerated within 2 hours of taking off the heating source, and then reach 41 degrees within 6 hours of being placed in the refrigerator.  I suggest allowing the potatoes to cool for 30 to 45 minutes before prepping as they are easier to handle and cut (if using for potato salad).  Handling hot potatoes produces a lumpy, mashed potato salad as opposed to the standard chunky potato salad found in most restaurants and deli's.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville