Food Safety Issues/Listeria Hummus Recall during pregnancy

Hi Carol,

I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and just heard about the Hummus recall with Target and Trader Joe's.  Upon checking the affected product, I know that I have eaten the contaminated hummus at least twice during my pregnancy, which falls within the dates of the recall.

I haven't gotten sick, but I know that Listeria is usually asymptomatic for the mothers but can be detrimental to the babies.  I've called my GP and my OB for a blood test - neither one has called me back yet, and I'm really worried.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Dear Melissa,

I know you are anxious for information concerning Listeria in light of your pregnancy. By the time you read this response I hope your GP and OBGYN has contacted you and has performed a blood test as this is the only way to definitively know if you contracted Listeria, though showing no symptoms.

You are right that Listeria can be asymptomatic for pregnant women however if you show any flu-like symptoms (fever, headache, body aches, etc) and you have not had a blood test, then you should immediately contact your physicians.

Here's hoping that everything goes smoothly from here on out and that soon you'll have a beautiful, healthy baby to love.

Best wishes.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville