Food Safety Issues/Listeria Hummus Recall during pregnancy

Question
Hi Carol,

I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and just heard about the Hummus recall with Target and Trader Joe's.  Upon checking the affected product, I know that I have eaten the contaminated hummus at least twice during my pregnancy, which falls within the dates of the recall.

I haven't gotten sick, but I know that Listeria is usually asymptomatic for the mothers but can be detrimental to the babies.  I've called my GP and my OB for a blood test - neither one has called me back yet, and I'm really worried.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Answer
Dear Melissa,

I know you are anxious for information concerning Listeria in light of your pregnancy. By the time you read this response I hope your GP and OBGYN has contacted you and has performed a blood test as this is the only way to definitively know if you contracted Listeria, though showing no symptoms.

You are right that Listeria can be asymptomatic for pregnant women however if you show any flu-like symptoms (fever, headache, body aches, etc) and you have not had a blood test, then you should immediately contact your physicians.

Here's hoping that everything goes smoothly from here on out and that soon you'll have a beautiful, healthy baby to love.

Best wishes.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt