Food Safety Issues/Paul Revere teapot

I have a Paul Revere teapot that doesn't get used very often. When I filled it recently, the water turned blue after setting awhile. I soaked it in 50/50 water vinegar solution overnight. That solution was also blue when dumped out. I have put fresh water in it and will check it in the morning again.
Should I be concerned about using this particular teapot?

Hi Diane,

My only idea on why you are experiencing blue water is that somehow the copper clad bottom of your teapot has come in contact with sulfur to produce copper sulfate which is a blue crystal.  Does your water contain a large amount of sulfur?

I am not a chemist but my instinct tells me that water that turns blue in a teapot is an indication that it should not be used.  If it is a beautiful tea pot I think I'd just relegate it to a shelf and admire it for it's outward beauty.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville