Food Safety Issues/Paul Revere teapot

Question
I have a Paul Revere teapot that doesn't get used very often. When I filled it recently, the water turned blue after setting awhile. I soaked it in 50/50 water vinegar solution overnight. That solution was also blue when dumped out. I have put fresh water in it and will check it in the morning again.
Should I be concerned about using this particular teapot?

Answer
Hi Diane,

My only idea on why you are experiencing blue water is that somehow the copper clad bottom of your teapot has come in contact with sulfur to produce copper sulfate which is a blue crystal.  Does your water contain a large amount of sulfur?

I am not a chemist but my instinct tells me that water that turns blue in a teapot is an indication that it should not be used.  If it is a beautiful tea pot I think I'd just relegate it to a shelf and admire it for it's outward beauty.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt