Food Safety Issues/Extreme amount of slime on ham

Question
I just opened a fully cooked spiral cut ham ( sell by date 6/5, today is 6/6).  There  is an extreme amount of slime, I mean like 1/2 a cup or more.  The ham smells fine, but I have never  experienced this amount of slime before.  I hate to waste food but am I better off tossing this?

Answer
Hi Heidi,

The "slime" is the congealed ham juice that contains fat that was drawn to the surface during the cooking process. Once the ham was packaged and cooled the juices congealed to form a thick, slime like liquid.  Your ham just had more of this congealed juice than you normally experience.  

If the ham was spoiled, it would have an off smell and the sealed wrapped would be bloated. Since you say the ham looked and smelled fine, and was within the sell by date, it is fine to consume.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt