Food Safety Issues/canning green beans

Is it ok to can green beans if the have brown spots, the spots don't go deep in the skin. thanks

Hi Gina,

It is not recommended to can beans that have obvious problems such as brown spots as this may have been caused by either a fungus or bacteria. You should always choose high quality, fresh and free from blemish vegetables and fruits to preserve.

If it is possible to cut off the parts of the beans with brown spots and still have enough good beans to can, you could do so.  However, I would avoid canning any beans that have brown spots.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville