Food Safety Issues/canning green beans

Question
Is it ok to can green beans if the have brown spots, the spots don't go deep in the skin. thanks

Answer
Hi Gina,

It is not recommended to can beans that have obvious problems such as brown spots as this may have been caused by either a fungus or bacteria. You should always choose high quality, fresh and free from blemish vegetables and fruits to preserve.

If it is possible to cut off the parts of the beans with brown spots and still have enough good beans to can, you could do so.  However, I would avoid canning any beans that have brown spots.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt