Food Safety Issues/Kola

I found a recipe online for creating my own soda pop syrup and it does taste kind of like Pepsi using all natural ingredients. However it is missing something. As I understand Kola nut is or was used as an ingredient in Coka Cola? I think the leaves are what Cocaine is made from? If that being true would it be illegal to order the nut which I think is an African delicacy?

Hi James,

Kola nut is available in a variety of forms here in the US.  I found on Amazon that you can purchase it in the nut, extract or powdered form.

FYI -- Coca Cola once did contain both the extract of coca leaves and kola nuts but the formulation was changed and has not contained either since 1929.

Good luck on creating our own soda pop syrup.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville