Food Safety Issues/Packaged Meatballs Overnight

Question
A sealed package of pre-cooked meatballs and a pint of half-and-half were left in a paper grocery bag in the kitchen overnight. They felt slightly below room temperature when discovered @ 1:30 pm.

Answer
Unfortunately, the recommendation for foods that can easily support the growth of harmful bacteria when left in the "Danger Zone -- 41 to 135 degrees F" for over 4 hours is to pitch them.  Both pre-cooked meatballs and half-and-half are considered potentially hazardous foods, or foods that require time and temperature control for safety and must be kept either hot (above 135 degrees F) or cold (below 41 degrees F) to be considered safe for consumption.

Since room temperature this time of year is around 75 - 80 degrees F, slightly below would mean probably 60-70 degrees which is a temperature that encourages the rapid growth of bacteria. And since you can't tell by look, smell or taste if the food is still safe to consume, the safe thing to do is pitch both of these products.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt