Food Safety Issues/Pickles in a hot car

Hi there. I did some canning/pickling with my bro-in-law last week. Everything was prepared, cooled, sealed properly but I forgot to take the pickled cucumbers and green beans out of my car before a weekend trip and the jars have been in my hot car for 3 days. It has been in the mid-80s where I live. Are the pickled veggies still safe to eat?
Thanks- Jill

Hi Jill,

Yes, the pickles are safe to consume.  

It's recommended to store home preserved foods between 50 and 70 degrees F for maximum quality. While it is not recommended to store food in temperatures above 95 F for long periods of time, for a short period it should not affect the quality of the pickles.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville