Food Safety Issues/Canned food

Question
When I opened a can of food tonight there was a little puff-of-air sound. I didn't think there was supposed to be air in the can, so I didn't use the food, but thought surely it couldn't be dangerous. I looked  it up on the Internet and read totally contradictory information - it's fine, it's not fine, a little sound is good, a bigger sound is bad - so I look forward to your explanation and answer!

Answer
Hi Kat,

Some cans make a hissing sound when opened because they are vacuum-packed and the noise is a result of air pressure. This is perfectly normal. Your little puff-of-air sound is normal and the canned food is safe to consume.

If you open a can and the contents spurt out or the noise is very loud, then you should not consume the contents. You should place the can and its contents in a heavy garbage bag and throw it away.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt