Food Safety Issues/Quick Note A Broken Resource

Hi Carol

My name is Michael Merson and I am a member of The Research and Development Advisory Committee for The George Institute of Global Health.

I am in the process of gathering research for a report on the economic and humanitarian effects of natural disasters around the world for the year 2014. As part of my search I came across a resource that no longer works on your website. If you open this page and try this reference it doesn't go anywhere.

I found the page simply moved here:

If you decide to update your site, I was wondering if you would be open to including an article that I co-authored covering: survival without food and water, likely disasters in your area, hurricane strikes since 1950, measures against hurricanes, assembling an emergency food supply, the aftermath of the disaster, preparing food without power & more.

You can find the article here:

How to Keep Food Safe During an Emergency Caused by Nature

In addition you can find more info on emergency food preparedness below:

Storing Food for Safety and Quality

Keeping Food Safe During Emergencies

Appreciate your time,

Of course, feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your help!

Michael H. Merson
The George Institute of Global Health

Level 13, 321 Kent Street
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

Hi Michael,

Thank you for pointing out the broken link from one of my previous answers.  As I don't have control over the past content of my answers, I will contact the administrators of AllExperts and ask them to update the link.

Thank you also for the links to additional emergency resources.  I will keep them handy and will include them if questions come to me where including them would be appropriate.

As a former Extension Educator I am quite aware of the EDEN (Extension Disaster Emergency Network) that was developed to coordinate efforts in time of emergencies. The 2 references you mention from Oregon and Purdue are examples of resources available through EDEN. I was very involved in writing and editing resources during the Mississippi River Flood of 1993 and it was at that time that I become involved with EDEN.

If I can be of any service to you, please let me know.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville