Food Safety Issues/Turkey 1 day past use or freeze

Is it safe to cook & eat a fresh turkey that has a use or freeze by date of 12-31 if we cook on 1-1.

Hi Monica,

It is considered safe to cook a turkey that has been handled properly (refrigerated at 41 degrees F or below) within 1-2 days past the "Sell By" date.  Since you are within this quideline it should be safe to cook your bird.  Be sure to used a thermometer and cook the bird to a minimum of 165 degrees F before serving.

Happy New Year.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville