Food Safety Issues/Eating canned split pea soup past expiration date of 12/12/14

How long after the expiration date can canned split pea soup be eaten? The expiration date is 12/13/14.

Hi Pamela,

The date on canned food is a guideline to help both the grocery store and the consumer to rotate their stock and to use food within it's best quality.  The date is not a safety date and the food is considered safe as long as the can looks the same as when it was purchased.

Please note though, that canned goods do not get better with age.  You may notice quality deterioration in the soup but as long as the can is not compromised, it is safe to consume.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville