Food Safety Issues/Eggs

Today's date is 10/4.  I have some eggs that sell by date is 8/28, always refrigerated.  Safe to use?w

Hi Betty,

The date on egg cartons are placed there to help stores rotate their stock and make sure they are selling their eggs in a timely manner.

Egg quality is considered safe if used within 30 days of the sell by date.  Since the sell by date was 8/28 then for best quality and safety they should be used by 9/28.  Your eggs are beyond this date and thus the recommendation is to not consume the eggs.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville