Food Safety Issues/mincemeat

Question
Is it safe to freeze and thaw mincemeat?

Answer
Hi John,

If you are talking about "real " mincemeat made with meat (*beef, elk, deer, etc.) suet and apples -- then if defrosted in the refrigerator and use within 2-3 days of defrosting -- then it is safe. Frozen mincemeat should be used within 3 months for highest quality, though if kept constantly frozen it is safe for a long time.  The quality of the product will decrease the longer it is kept in the freezer.

Canned mincemeat found in the grocery store is actually a mixture of apples and raisins with beef flavorings.  This type of mixture can be safely frozen and thawed as it is not a potentially hazardous food (meaning it doesn't support the growth of harmful bacteria).

Hope this answers your question.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt