Food Safety Issues/Ppkin Bar mix

My boxed pumpkin bar mix has a sell date of 1/22/2015, can I still use it? Thanks for your help!

Hi Stacy,

The date on brownie, cake and cookie mixes is a "best if used by" date and does not have anything to do with the safety of the product.  The date is placed there to help grocery stores rotate their product so that they are always selling fresh products.  

The pumpkin bar mix is still safe to bake and consume, though the quality (taste, smell, appearance) may not be as high as a fresher product.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville