Food Safety Issues/safe to eat meat.

Question
Hi Carol, my 4 lb boneless pork butt has a sell by date of 10/13. Today is 10/15.Is it safe to eat if I cook it in a slow cooker?
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Bonnie,

The sell-by date on meat is there to help grocery stores to make sure they are rotating their stock and selling meat that is of both high quality and safety.  

The general rule of thumb for whole muscle pork products (roasts, chops, etc) is to use it within 2-3 days of the sell-by date or freeze it for future use.  Since you are within this time frame, it is considered safe to cook the roast today.  

If you can not cook the roast today i would freeze it today for future use.  For highest quality, the butt should be used within 3-4 months.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt