Food Safety Issues/Safety of food

Question
I roasted sweet potatoes and acorn squash covered individually with foil in the oven. I turned the oven off and forgot about them overnight. Safe or toss?

Answer
Hi Kimberly,

The recommendation is to not consume TCS foods (foods that require heat/refrigeration or time to keep them safe) that have been in the temperature danger zone (41 to 135 degrees F) for over 4 hours.  Unfortunately, cooked vegetables are in this category.

The problem is you can't tell by taste, smell or appearance if a TCS food that has been temperature/time abused is still safe.  The food can look good, smell fantastic and taste wonderful and still make you ill.  Thus the recommendation to not consume TCS foods that have been temperature/time abused.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt