Food Safety Issues/best if used date

Question
I was given a frozen turkey about a year ago. I put it in my freezer and still have it. I was planning to cook it for Thanksgiving and noticed that the date says "best if used by 4-05-15". I wanted to make sure that's it's still OK to eat or if it should be thrown away.
Thanks,
Tom

Answer
The best by date usually refers to turkey that is refrigerated, not frozen. It is the manufacturers estimation of how long the turkey can be stored under refrigeration and retain it's "best quality" Since it's been frozen it should last 9-12 months. The turkey will be  safe to eat indefinitely if frozen but after 9-12 months it will start to lose moisture. People refer to this as freezer burn. The bottom line is it will be safe to eat the turkey but it may not be 100% quality. Great question Tom.

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate