Food Safety Issues/dated meat

bought fresh Ham it says sell 11/20 is it still good to bake 11/26 thank you ?        Lieselotte

Hi Lieselotte,

The sell by date is for the use by the grocery store to ensure proper rotation of their products.  It does not mean that the ham should be consumed by that date.  If you purchased the ham on the 20th, the recommendation is to use or freeze the ham within 5-7 days of the sell by date.  Since November 26th is within this range it is considered safe to refrigerate and cook the ham on Thanksgiving.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville