Food Safety Issues/How soon can I buy my Thanksgiving day turkey

Question
Hello!

I live in an apartment so our refrigerator is not huge it's an apartment size fridge. So my question to you is what is the earliest that I can I buy my turkey so that it will be thawed out Thanksgiving eve?  Would I be safe buying it on Saturday (11/21) to be ready buy 11/26?  Bird will weigh in at between 18-25lbs.  Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hi Dave,

The general rule of thumb is that a turkey will defrost 3-5 lbs every day.  So I would take the average of 4 lbs and divide that by the weight of the turkey.  A 20lb bird should be defrosted in 5 days.

I would place a 20lb bird in the refrigerator Friday morning - November 20th and your bird should be defrosted by Wednesday, November 25th. Of course, if you place it in earlier that would be okay as a defrosted turkey can safely be in the refrigerator 2 days after full defrost and before roasting.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt