Food Safety Issues/NY Strip Roast

Question
If my NY strip roast has a sell by of 12/23,  can I prepare it to eat on 12/27?

Answer
Hi Ann,

The sell-by date is the date that the store has established that they want their product to be off their shelves. The general rule for roasts is that you can refrigerate and use the roast within 2-3 days after this date. If you can't cook it within that time frame it can be frozen for future use.

You are just past this recommendation as 3 days past 12/23 is 12/26.  If your roast still looks and smells okay I would think it safe to prepare it on the 27th.  Be sure that the roast reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F and holds this temperature for at least 4 minutes before taking it out of the oven to serve.

Merry Christmas.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt