Food Safety Issues/smoked ham

Question
I purchased a ham the package reads: smoked pork shoulder picnic water added. cook/serve. It is vacuum packed. The date packed is November 11, 2015. There is no best before date on the package. It has been refrigerated unopened. Is it still safe to cook and eat as it was packaged 26 days ago.

Answer
Dear Marjorie,

The general recommendation for a vacuum sealed smoked ham that does not have a a best if used by date on the package, is to refrigerate and use within 2 weeks of purchase or freeze and use within 2 months.

When did you purchase the ham?  If you purchased the ham 2 weeks ago then it would still be considered safe to consume.  If it is over 2 weeks ago, the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the ham.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt