Food Safety Issues/thawing prime rib

Question
My freezer was left open at some point during the night.  A 6 pound prime rib was in there.    It has been completely out of the freezer for about 3 hours now because my husband thought it was ruined.   It still feels frozen to the touch.  Can I thaw it the rest of the way and cook it with in the next 24 hours?

Answer
Dear Teresa,

As long as the roast was still frozen and contained ice crystals it is safe to either put back into the freezer or defrost (in the refrigerator) and cook.  You don't have to do it within 24 hours but within 2 days of complete defrost.

Merry Christmas!

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt