Food Safety Issues/Barbecue Sauce

Question
Is it safe to use an unopened container of barbecue sauce with an expiration date of November 2014

Answer
Hi Leanne,

Yes, the date on the container is a "best if used by" date and does not refer to the safety of the product.  Manufacterer's use these dates to indicate how long their product will be of the highest quality.  Unopened products used after the suggested use by date are still safe to consume but may show quality changes in color, texture and flavor.  

BBQ sauce tends to darken as it ages so that may be one quality change that you may notice but again the sauce is safe to consume.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt