Food Safety Issues/juice

I purchased a bottle of Dole, Orange Peach mango in the refridgerated section. My son put the bottle in the pantry and I didn't notice it for 2 days. The bottle was not opened and I want to know if it would be safe to drink.

Hi Kari,

The fresh juices that you find in the refrigerated section such as your Dole juice, do not contain preservatives, and thus can ferment quicker when not refrigerated.  The juice concentrates are acidic and do not support the growth of harmful bacteria so leaving them at room temperature is not harmful, food safety-wise. The juice will ferment and give an off flavor faster when not refrigerated.

So as far as safety, the juice is okay.  As far as quality - taste, color and smell -- that may be an issue.  I would refrigerate the juice and try it to see if it is still of a high quality.  If you notice any off flavors or taste, do not consume as the juice has started to ferment.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville