Food Safety Issues/Slow stovetop cooking

Question
I am looking for a stovetop alternative to cooking a roast in the crock pot. Have used pressure cooker but the meat seems a little tough. I don't have a dutch oven or extra heavy pan - just a good quality stainless steel skillet. I have a recipe from an old cookbook that says I can cook a 3-4 lb chuck roast slowly in a covered skillet on the stove in a little broth or water for 4 hours. Is there anything unsafe about cooking the meat so slowly on the stovetop? Should the liquid be some minimum temperature in order to be safe?  Thank you very much for your help.

Answer
Hi Karen,

Yes, it is safe to cook slowly on the stovetop a roast or other cut of meat. The temperature in the skillet is very similar to the temperature created in a crockpot.

You might want to invest in a dutch oven as it produces the best flavor and tenderness for slow cooking meats.  I recently purchased a dutch oven at Aldi's for only $24 and it performs as well as the very expensive models, so keep your eyes open for a bargain dutch oven.  

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt