Food Safety Issues/Cake Batter

Question
Hi I've seen some recipes on blogs with dry raw cake mix. I was wondering if this was safe?? If not is it possible to make it safe? Thanks!!

Answer
Elizabeth -- I don't quite understand the question.  Are the recipes using dry cake mix as part of a recipe that is not baked?

Could you send me a link to one or more of the blogs so I can see what they are referring to a "dry raw cake mix."

Thanks.

Carol

Elizabeth -- I did a little searching on severaql blogs for recipes that use dry cake mix as an ingredient for recipes that will not be later baked.  Amazingly, there are quite a few recipes showing up that use dry cake mix as a flavoring agent -- something I was not aware.

The FDA published a notice 10 years ago warning food service to not use cake mixes and other baking mixes designed to be rehydrated and baked as an ingredient in foods that will not be baked. There was an outbreak of Salmonella 10 years ago when dry cake mix was being added to ice cream for a Cake Mix Cookie Dough Ice Cream.  Here is the link to the bulletin:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/IndustryandRegul

So the answer to your question is NO -- you should not use dry cake mix in recipes that will not be baked.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt