Food Safety Issues/Cake Batter

Hi I've seen some recipes on blogs with dry raw cake mix. I was wondering if this was safe?? If not is it possible to make it safe? Thanks!!

Elizabeth -- I don't quite understand the question.  Are the recipes using dry cake mix as part of a recipe that is not baked?

Could you send me a link to one or more of the blogs so I can see what they are referring to a "dry raw cake mix."

Elizabeth -- I did a little searching on severaql blogs for recipes that use dry cake mix as an ingredient for recipes that will not be later baked.  Amazingly, there are quite a few recipes showing up that use dry cake mix as a flavoring agent -- something I was not aware.

The FDA published a notice 10 years ago warning food service to not use cake mixes and other baking mixes designed to be rehydrated and baked as an ingredient in foods that will not be baked. There was an outbreak of Salmonella 10 years ago when dry cake mix was being added to ice cream for a Cake Mix Cookie Dough Ice Cream.  Here is the link to the bulletin:

So the answer to your question is NO -- you should not use dry cake mix in recipes that will not be baked.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville