Food Safety Issues/Canned Pineapple Storage

I have a dozen unopened cans of pineapple that have been in refrigerator for at least 3 years.  Is the pineapple safe to eat?

Hi Angel,

Yes, unopened cans of fruit are safe to consume, quality-wise for 3-4 years after purchase.  While they are still safe to consume as long as the integrity of the can is not compromised (not bulging, dented, leaking, etc), the quality of the product does begin to decline the longer it is held before opening.

I'm curious....why did you store your cans in the refrigerator?  The purpose of canned foods is to be able to store them without refrigeration so it seemed odd to me that you would store them in a refrigerator.

I would open a can and inspect the contents.  If the pineapple still looks like a can that is much younger, then the quality has not been affected. It is possible you may see color, flavor or texture changes in older pineapple. This is not harmful to consume but can affect the desirability of the product.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville