Food Safety Issues/Ground beef

Question
I have ground beef in the refrigerator that says to use or freezeby 3/15. Today is 3/19. Should i use it? It looks brown.

Answer
Hi Diane,

Ground meats are especially prone for containing harmful bacteria which can grow to a level that can make you ill if not used or frozen by the "use-by" date.  Since you can't tell the safety of the meat by sight or smell, we can only go by the date that is supplied to help us know when to keep or pitch a product.

In this case, with the ground beef being 4 days past it's use by date, the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the meat.

Sorry...

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt