Food Safety Issues/Uncooked spiral ham past "sell by" date

Question
How long can an uncooked spiral ham last in refrigerator. Date says sell buy Mar 7. Today is Mar 28. Is it still in original packaging and never opened. Is it still safe to eat?
Thank you

Answer
Hi Mary,

The "sell by" date on the ham is there for the grocery store to help in the rotation of stock.  It is not a "best if used by" date which does mean that the product should be used or frozen by that date for best quality and safety.

An unopened refrigerated ham is usually good up to 2 weeks past the "sell by" date.  Since your ham is now 3 weeks past this date, the chances for food spoilage organisms to now be present has greatly increased.  You may notice a sour smell and/or a dull, slimy texture. If so, the ham should not be consumed.

If you decide to heat and consume the ham, I definitely advise not serving it to young children, the elderly or anyone with a weakened immune system.

Of course...when in doubt, throw it out!

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt