Food Safety Issues/can of yams

Question
I have a can of yams experiation date is 10/2014, today is 03/2015 can i use them

Answer
Hi Donna,

The date on the can is a "best if used by" date and is placed there by the manufacturer to give guidance to consumers and to help grocery stores in rotating their products.  It is not a safety date but rather a quality date. In other words, the manufacturer is stating that using their product by the stated date guarantees a product that is of the highest quality.  Consuming a product past this date may result in quality changes such as color, texture or flavor, but it is not unsafe as long as the can is in original integrity (no bulges, leaks, etc.)

With the date not that far past the "best if used by" date I expect you will notice no change in color, texture or flavor.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt