Food Safety Issues/humus safety

Question
I came across your web page because I was concerned about the safety of home-made homus. My recipe calls for a clove of fresh garlic. Do you still feel this would be safe to eat for 7 days if stored in the frig? Or should I use garlic powder?

thanks for your advice.

Answer
Hi Diane,

It is safe to make hummus with fresh garlic if you refrigerate it and use it within 7 days. Just be sure that you wash the garlic cloves before chopping and placing in the hummus.

The concern for home-made garlic and oil mixtures is the remote possibility that storing the garlic in the oil at room temperature for an extended period of time can provide the right environment for botulism to occure. Botulism spores are widespread in nature, but seldom cause problems because they can't grow when oxygen is present. Oil provides a oxygen-free barrier making it perfect environment for the toxin, if present, to be released into the mixture. Once the bacteria start to grow, refrigerating the product slows down but does not stop the production of botulinum toxin. This is why we recommend that if you make home-made herb and/or garlic and oil mixtures you make a small amount, refrigerate it and use within 7 days.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt