Food Safety Issues/Pork sausage tubes..sealed

I bought 4 rolls of pork sausage to beat the last minute crush for Easter for biscuits and gravy. It has been refrigerated. I just noticed the date is use by March 22!
Now what?

Hi Carol,

The recommendation for ground meats is that they should be used or frozen by the use by date to ensure safety.  Ground meats are more prone to food borne illness bacteria and thus the recommendation is to not take a chance with cooking and consuming.

Sorry...wish I had better news for your Easter biscuits and gravy.  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville