Food Safety Issues/re-refreeziing ham

I was given a spiral precooked  ham at Christmas and I believe it was partially frozen.  I then thawed it for 2 days in the fridge for Easter but then Easter was cancelled due to extended family members being sick.  I then put it back in the freezer to be used for the rescheduled Easter event.  I then put it back in to the fridge to thaw a second time for 2 days, but then just now another family is ill.  It's a large ham and I want to save it for when we are all able to get together.  Can I refreeze it again?  Or should I cook it and refreeze it.  Or just throw it out?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Jean,

Since your ham was thawed in the refrigerator both times, it is safe to refreeze it again. Once ham is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing.

After cooking the ham it is also safe to freeze any leftovers for consuming at a later time.  Just be sure to defrost the cooked ham in the refrigerator and use within 3-4 days of defrost.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville