Food Safety Issues/re-refreeziing ham

Question
I was given a spiral precooked  ham at Christmas and I believe it was partially frozen.  I then thawed it for 2 days in the fridge for Easter but then Easter was cancelled due to extended family members being sick.  I then put it back in the freezer to be used for the rescheduled Easter event.  I then put it back in to the fridge to thaw a second time for 2 days, but then just now another family is ill.  It's a large ham and I want to save it for when we are all able to get together.  Can I refreeze it again?  Or should I cook it and refreeze it.  Or just throw it out?

Thanks for your help.
Jean

Answer
Hi Jean,

Since your ham was thawed in the refrigerator both times, it is safe to refreeze it again. Once ham is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing.

After cooking the ham it is also safe to freeze any leftovers for consuming at a later time.  Just be sure to defrost the cooked ham in the refrigerator and use within 3-4 days of defrost.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt