Food Safety Issues/moldy french bread

Question
Can I just scrape it off and toast it or toss it

Answer
Hi Eveyln,

The recommendation for soft foods such as bread, soft cheeses, fruits, jelly, etc is that you not scrape the mold off, but rather pitch the food.

The reason for this is that molds produce tiny, microscopic "roots" as they form and some of these have been found to be toxic.  As these roots can penetrate the surface of these foods, simply scraping them off may not remove the entire mold.  Thus the recommendation to pitch the food.

For an excellent, research-based, article on molds, I suggest that you check out the following:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/a87cdc2c-6ddd-49f0-bd1f-393086742e68/Mo

Sorry...

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt