Food Safety Issues/moldy french bread

Can I just scrape it off and toast it or toss it

Hi Eveyln,

The recommendation for soft foods such as bread, soft cheeses, fruits, jelly, etc is that you not scrape the mold off, but rather pitch the food.

The reason for this is that molds produce tiny, microscopic "roots" as they form and some of these have been found to be toxic.  As these roots can penetrate the surface of these foods, simply scraping them off may not remove the entire mold.  Thus the recommendation to pitch the food.

For an excellent, research-based, article on molds, I suggest that you check out the following:

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville