Food Safety Issues/Frozen entrees

Question
After leaving a frozen meal in the refrigerator overnight and thawing, is it ok to refrreze it or should it be left in the frig and consumed in 3-4 days?

Answer
Hi Rosalie,

As long as you defrost food in the refrigerator it can be safely refrozen within 1-2 days of complete defrost. When you refreeze, the quality of the product diminishes especially in foods that have a higher water content such as fruits and vegetables but as long as the temperature of the thawed food did not go above 41 degrees while in refrigeration, it is safe to refreeze.

The question becomes more a quality issue than safety issue when food is refrozen as described above.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt